Why the city authorities “hid” a masterpiece of architecture, along with the tenants
Savvinskoe Compound – an amazing building. Despite its beauty, as well as its architectural and historical value, it is hidden so that many citizens do not even know about its existence. It is called the hidden sight of Moscow, because in its time it was indeed deliberately removed from sight. And who would have thought that this masterpiece of architecture is located right on Tverskaya!
Monastic Profitable House with Film Studio
Several centuries ago, a building belonging to the famous Zvenigorod Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery stood on Tverskaya Street. It survived two fires in Moscow, but during the latter, in 1812, it burned out so that there was no point in restoring it. And at the beginning of the last century, at the request of Bishop Parfeni of Mozhaisk and with the permission of the authorities, they began to build a new, four-story building with a farmstead and utility rooms on the site of the burnt down building.
The construction was supervised by the famous architect Ivan Kuznetsov, who designed the building in the style of pseudo-Russian architecture with the addition of baroque and modern elements, as well as using Abramtsevo tiles. This combination was very successful, which is not surprising, given the talent and experience of the architect.
In pre-revolutionary times, the first floors of the building were occupied by various offices, including the Savvinsky bishop’s office, editorial offices and shops, and novices of the monastery lived on the upper ones. But most of the premises were rented out, as in a regular apartment building.
In the courtyard there were two stone buildings, one of which was the home church in honor of Sawa Storozhevsky.
By the way, the Moscow Diocesan Society located here was home to a school for the homeless poor, an orphanage and a workshop for boys.
Immediately after the building was completed, the Alexander Khanzhonkov film studio (Khanzhonkov Trading House) became one of the tenants. The filmmaker even managed to get permission from the bishop of the monastery for the construction of a shooting pavilion in the back yard. According to legend, at first the clergyman opposed such a undertaking, considering it seditious, but after Khanzhonkov invited him to a session and introduced him to the cinema, the bishop was so impressed with what he saw that he gave the go-ahead.
Compound marvelous beauty liked the townspeople
The building on Tverskaya, resembling a Russian tower and a European castle at the same time, became a real decoration of the street, and of all of Moscow, organically fitting into the landscape.
His tiled facade, decorated with glaze, stucco and mosaic, admired passersby, and two tall pointed turrets, visible from afar, became his hallmark.
The internal (courtyard) facades were no less beautiful: arches, columns, original bas-reliefs and windows decorated with flowers and sea shells, created with great taste and imagination. The patio resembles a chic palace hall.
After the revolution, the building, like other Moscow apartment buildings, was densely settled by Soviet families, arranging communal apartments here, and the first floor was given for shops and utility rooms.
The house went very smoothly
In 1935, during the expansion of Tverskoy, which in those years was already called Gorky Street, the building was not touched, but four years later its existence was threatened. As part of the General Plan for the reconstruction of the capital, they wanted to remove the house in order to build a stalka in its place.
However, they did not begin to demolish the farmstead, but moved about 50 meters into the street.