Wooden masterpieces of modernism in the Russian outback
These amazing houses, located in the town of Gorokhovets, Vladimir region, are fascinated by their originality, originality and beauty, although they were built by master architects more than a hundred years ago. Despite its “antiquity”, the buildings-towers seem very modern and they are even called “wooden modern”.
Gorokhovets carpenters in Russia were called “Yakushs” (as one of the villages was called in the Vladimir district), and they are even mentioned in the Dahl dictionary. Carpentry fed most of the male population of Gorokhovets, in other words, it was a city of carpenters and architects.
The owner of the local boiler-shipbuilding plant, Ivan Aleksandrovich Shorin, ordered the construction of a house for his son (he was in the position of manager at the father’s factory) and his numerous family (wife and four children) at the beginning of the last century. According to another version, the customer was the son Mikhail himself, supported by his father. Like many Russian industrialists of that time, he wanted his house to look unusual, rich and pretentious, and surprised those around him with its beauty and magnificence.
Wanting to please the customer, the Gorohovtsy carpenters did their best and practically built not a mansion, but a fabulous terem in the spirit of Russian folk tales.
Interestingly, the asymmetry of the building does not spoil it, but makes it even more attractive and elegant. Particularly interesting are the mezzanines and the two corner towers of the main facade (one square-shaped and the second round) and the facade of curved logs.
The house is unusually decorated with figured windows with frames resembling stained glass windows and unusual carved platbands. And, of course, the mansion is richly decorated with carvings. Now this building is open House of creativity and crafts. By the way, tours often take place here.
Prishletsov House is one of the most famous buildings in Gorokhovets. He was built in 1915 by Fyodor Ksenofontovich Prishletsov – chairman of the Zemstvo council. Later, this unusual mansion was owned by a local mayor. Shortly before the revolution, a pharmacy was located in this building, and in 1919 a county-town cell of the RCP (b) was placed in a wooden mansion.
In the architecture of a wooden one-story mansion with a “square” tower and an almost rounded, dome-shaped mezzanine, one can clearly see the motives of Russian folk art, which was of great interest in central Russia at the turn of XIX – XX. Everything here is unique – both triangular windows with spiers, and a porch with a metal patterned roof (imitation of tiles) and again a carved spire, and the same asymmetry. By the way, the arch of the tower also has a spire and is also covered with “scales”.
Especially elegant decorated main facade. The only frames with rich carvings are worth something! Here you can see both lions and mythical mermaid characters, and, of course, bunches of grapes so popular in the architecture of that time.
This merchant’s building (now it houses a motel) was built around the same period as the houses of Prishletsov and Shorin. In the architecture of the “Teremka” one can trace the same style of “wooden modernity”: intricate tent turrets, carved window platbands and eaves. By the way, this house is not completely wooden, but half-stone.
Since the construction of the house has been preserved almost intact, but something has changed. Unfortunately, the mansion has lost a beautiful carved cornice and a speck gate, which was on the right, as well as an interesting white tile stove located inside the house.