Moscow could be different
In the entire history of the USSR, Soviet leaders have repeatedly come up with the most incredible plans to change the face of the capital. Particularly ambitious were the recurring ideas of building new buildings designed to demonstrate the greatness of the socialist system in general and of Soviet architecture in particular. However, for one reason or another, all these incredible buildings were never built, otherwise the center of Moscow would now look very different.
We offer to your attention several such unrealized projects.
Palace of the Soviets
A magnificent palace was planned to be built in order to hold sessions of the USSR Supreme Council, as well as other significant events.
The project was invented by the famous Stalin-era architect Boris Iofan. The giant construction was supposed to be a tower-like building, decorated outside with sculpture and frescoes, on top of which a hundred-meter figure of Lenin would rise. The height of the structure together with Ilyich is more than 400 meters, which at that time would be higher than the American skyscraper Empire State Building. Well, the weight is 1.3 million tons. It was assumed that the monument building would symbolize the triumph of socialism.
The Palace of Soviets was planned to be equipped with a climate-control system modern for those years, with elevators, and from the outside it was supposed to be lit with powerful searchlights. According to preliminary calculations, this structure would be seen by passersby from a distance of 35 kilometers.
They planned to build a megaphone on the site of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. Immediately after it was blown up and the ruins were dismantled, the builders took up the preparatory work. However, it did not go further than the manufacture of the foundation: the war began and the state was no longer up to the palaces. Steel structures prepared for the construction of the building-tower, went to the needs of the defense of Moscow.
After the war, they did not return to the project. Well, its foundation was used for the pool “Moscow”, opened here in 1960. Three years earlier, the nearby Palace of Soviets metro station, named after the unfinished memorial building, was renamed Kropotkinskaya.
The awesome and difficult to pronounce name “Narkomtyazhprom” stands for the People’s Commissariat of Heavy Industry of the USSR. This organization existed only from 1932 to 1939, after which it was abolished. However, in 1934, when an intensive growth of the development of heavy industry was observed in the country, no one suspected such a short history of the People’s Commissariat of Heavy Industry, and the authorities announced a competition for the best project for its building. The architects presented several interesting and bold works. One of the most appropriate was the project of Ivan Fomin, the founder of Soviet monumental classicism.
This building, which is a closed ring with a straight butt body, four towers that are connected by transitions, and a beautiful arch. The height of the building is 12-13 floors, and the towers are 24 floors. Through the openings of the main facade was perfectly visible mausoleum.
It was planned to erect the building right next to Red Square, on the site of the shopping malls (modern GUM). Since this building had to be of enormous size, the implementation of the project involved the expansion of Krasa Square itself, almost twice. However, a year later it was decided to build a building a little to the side, in the Zaryadye area.
In connection with the death of Ordzhonikidze and the disbanding of the People’s Commissariat of Heavy Industry under his jurisdiction, the need for such a project disappeared by itself.
Big Academic Cinema
Lenin’s words about the role of cinema in the life of Soviet people in the 1930s were decided to be realized in the form of construction of the Bolshoi Academic Cinema in the center of Moscow. This building was supposed to be a counterweight to the Bolshoi Theater and located directly opposite it.